Helping Grandparents Gain Custody In Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, it is possible for a grandparent to gain custody of a minor grandchild. However, the process can be complicated and requires the assistance of a skilled and experienced grandparents' rights attorney.

At Raphael, Ramsden & Behers, P.C., our attorneys provide guidance and representation to grandparents seeking custody. We are adept at handling a wide range of family and custody matters, including complex custody cases. Our attorneys are dedicated to giving you the support and advice you need so you can care for your grandchild.

To learn more about your options and your rights as a grandparent in Pennsylvania, contact our Pittsburgh grandparent custody lawyers online. We assist grandparents throughout the Pittsburgh area and Western Pennsylvania.

Obtaining Custody Of A Grandchild

In January of 2011, the Pennsylvania legislature amended the law pertaining to grandparent custody. Under the revised law, a grandparent may obtain physical and legal custody of a grandchild if it is in the best interests of the child and the following are true:

  • The grandparent has genuine care and concern for the child
  • The grandparent's relationship with the child began with the consent of the parent or by court order
  • The grandparent assumed the role of parent for at least 12 months or assumed the role because the parent was unfit due to mental illness, drug abuse, physical abuse or neglect

Additionally, a grandparent can seek partial custody or visitation of a grandchild when one of the following is true:

  • The grandparent's child, who is the parent of the grandchild, is deceased
  • The parents have been separated for at least six months or divorced
  • The child lived with the grandparents for at least six months

Regardless of the types of custody you are seeking, we can help you understand your options and pursue custody or visitation rights. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who will stand up for your rights and fight to protect your relationship with your grandchild.

Contact An Allegheny County Visitation Rights Lawyer

Our attorneys can answer your questions about your custody and visitation rights. Contact our Pittsburgh office to schedule a consultation.