Handling Complex International Child Custody Disputes

Very few law firms handle international custody disputes. These cases require specialized knowledge and insight into the international laws that govern the future of your family. At Raphael, Ramsden & Behers, we have experience handling these types of cases, and we will work diligently to help you through this complex maze of legal procedures and international law.

We Understand What You Are Facing

Tensions and emotions run high when children are involved, especially if your child has parents living across international borders. It can have a serious impact on your ability to help make decisions about your child's future, your ability to visit your child in person, holidays and vacations. We can help you develop a comprehensive plan that is in the best interests of your child and that helps you continue growing your relationship with your child.

What Laws Apply To International Custody Cases?

The specific laws that apply in an international custody case will depend on the nations involved. Most commonly, the Hague Convention applies to these cases. The majority of European and westernized countries are members of the Hague Convention.

The Hague Convention allows for the return of children under the age of 16 to their "habitual residence." This means that if a parent moves out of the United States with the child to a Hague country, the other parent can petition the U.S. State Department to demand the child's return. Likewise, if a child is moved to the United States from another country, the other parent can submit a petition for return of the child.

In situations where the Hague Convention does not apply, state, federal and foreign laws may apply. Our lawyers can help you navigate these complex and important legal matters.

Get Answers And Advocacy

To speak with an attorney about your international child custody case, call our firm at 412-471-8822 or email us and schedule an appointment. We can help you understand your options and take action to protect your custody rights.